Discover more from KY Stands Up
A ConCon Disaster is Looming
What is a “ConCon”? It’s an ARTICLE V: Constitutional Convention
Why would it be a disaster? Because once the door is open to the Constitution, our current one can be scrapped and replaced with a new one. Imagine no 2nd Amendment. Imagine no 1st. No 5th. Etc. This would be a disaster.
To get a very clear picture of the dangers — and each of us must know — the first 30 minutes of this video spells it out. Please watch so your children and grandchildren will live in a free country.
Stop the Current KY Bill to Participate in a ConCon
As happens every year, some KY legislator will file a resolution to include KY in the petition to Congress for an Article V: Constitutional Convention. This year, it is HJR 8 and it is sponsored by Rep. William Lawrence of District 70. This year, proponents are extra active due to the unrest in our society and world.
We all understand that our Federal Government is out of control. Our leaders in Washington, D.C. do not follow our Constitution. Well-meaning patriots really want to do something about it.
So what should we do?
Some people are calling for the States to pass resolutions to modify our existing Constitution using the authority in Article V of the US Constitution to call a new Constitutional Convention like we had in 1787. They propose to adopt new clauses that will do things such as limit the Federal budget and provide term limits for our senators and congressmen. Sounds great. But is this the right thing to do to fix our problems?
Did You Know?
The last time delegates were sent by their States to a Constitutional Convention for the purpose of amending the young nation’s documents, they didn’t amend them. They scrapped the Articles of Confederation completely and gave us what we have now: The Constitution of the United States of America?
The Articles of Confederation required all 13 States to ratify the changes. But the delegates changed the ratification to only require 9 of the States. Because they could.
Proponents of such a Convention will say that a Convention will be limited to just a few issues, however, Article V of the US Constitution makes no such provisions for limiting the purpose of such a Convention.
Proponents call this a Convention of States (COS), but once 34 states call for a Federal Constitutional Convention, the US Congress has sole authority on how the Convention will be run and who will be the delegates and it is then completely out of the hands of the States.
Proponents tell us that any changes must be ratified by a supermajority of the States. However, there is no way to enforce that once the Constitution is opened for change. Delegates can change the terms of ratification, just like they did in 1787. They can change anything they want. They can also call for secret meetings and secret balloting, just like they did in 1787.
Proponents say they will choose moral and wise delegates to the Constitutional Convention. But Congress does the choosing. They can even choose themselves. How many moral and wise delegates do you think we will get from Congress or even our state legislatures?
If our leaders in Washington, D.C. do not follow our current Constitution, do you think they will follow a new one?
Do you think the delegates will limit themselves to just a few modifications to the existing document when even our Founding Fathers didn’t limit themselves?
Do you think that the answer to government overreach is giving that very same government the power to basically do whatever they want with our Constitution?
Even if the US Congress draws delegates from the States, do you think the States will vote to limit their cash cow? All the States feed at the trough of Federal money.
Globalists would love nothing more than for the US Constitution to be gutted and revised to suit the ends of a global agenda. The provisions of our current Constitution stand in the way of their goals and aims for world governance.
What do you think will happen to our God-given rights to bear arms, speak freely and be free from government intrusion in our homes, if our current leadership has free reign to rewrite our guiding documents?
Our Constitution was made for a moral people. Are our current leaders moral people? Because that is who will be running a Constitutional Convention and writing our new Constitution.
If a Constitutional Convention is held today, there can be no limits to the changes. We will likely lose our precious Republic, and the few rights that we still retain today.
What Can You Do?
Call your State Representatives and Senators and tell them to OPPOSE HJR 8 and any other resolutions seeking to open a Convention of States.
Send them an email with your comments and concerns (see below).
Speak to them on the telephone.
Visit them personally at their offices in Frankfort.
Forward this Alert and resources listed below and share with family and friends. This is too important to sit on the sidelines.
Here's what to do EVERY WEEKDAY:
1. Put the Legislative Hotline number into your speed dial so you can call quickly: 1-800-372-7181. Call as early as possible in the day, but call anytime you can. The line is open 7am to 9pm M-Th and 7am to 6pm F. During inclement weather they close early.
2. When you call them, they are very nice and are just there to take your message. If you give them your name and address, they will tell you who your Senator and Representative are. The next time you call, they will have you on file.
3. Call the Legislative Hotline and say this [add brief reasons anytime you feel moved to – sample reason included here but encourage you to use your own using the above talking points if you want]: “I would like to leave a message for
• Oppose HJR 8. A Constitutional Convention is dangerous and will not solve our problems.
• Oppose ANY efforts to open a Convention of States.
• Oppose ANY efforts to open a Convention of States. A Constitutional Convention is dangerous and will not solve our problems.
4. Go to Find Your Legislator (ky.gov) (or search KY find my legislator and choose the first option). Find your legislator and it will show their phone and email.
5. Call your legislator's direct phone number and leave the above message and a brief reason. Be polite and succinct.
6. Email your legislator and leave the above message but put the key points in the SUBJECT line for best impact. Keep it brief and friendly.
Resources for further information: